There are over 100 types of arthritis but the most common types of arthritis are
Types of Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease in which body’s immune system attacks body parts, especially the joints. This leads to inflammation causing severe joint damage.
It’s the wear and tear because of the overuse of joints, age, obesity or joint injuries. The most commonly affected joints are the weight bearing joints like knees, hips, feet and spine. In osteoarthritis, cartilage at the end of the bones, that works as shock absorber, gets damaged. This damage of the cartilage makes movement painful.
Following are the REMEDIES written after consulting a homeopathic doctor. As arthritis can be very different from person to person, so care must be taken before following these remedies.
Homeopathic Remedies for Arthritis
Stitching pain in the heels as if splinters were lodged in it. Worse on walking.
Weakness and softness of bones. Rheumatism coming on in winter or cold weather. Better on return of hot weather.
When the pains are better by letting limbs hang down.
Diagonal pains i.e., of left arm and right leg or vice versa.
Rheumatoid arthritis. Stiffness and sense of fatigue in all the joints. Worse from slightest touch is the characteristic symptom of this remedy.
Pain in the joints, in the limbs, shoulders, elbow, forearm, hand, thighs, legs and feet etc. Pain travels from below upwards.
Shifting rheumatic pains relieved by walking up and down and by rubbing the affected parts. Sudden flushes of heat with thirst and nausea. Sleeplessness before midnight.
Pain in the Tibia and long bones.
This remedy should be tried when the well selected REMEDIES fail. It is specially indicated in rheumatoid arthritis which rouses the patient from sleep. Scanty, high coloured, strong smelling urine. Sensitive to cold with tenderness of the soles. The patient want to lie with legs drawn up which position affords him relief. Pain in heels, weakness of memory, irritable temperament. Use 200 dilutions or above.
Inflammation of joints with stinging and burning pains which are worse in warm room and by warm application and better by cold application and cold air. Parts look red and hot to touch. Oedema. Give high dilution.
When pains are worse by sitting, better by moving and completely relieved by lying down.
Pain in soles of feet and heels.
Rheumatism increased or brought on by walking.
Rheumatism of finger joints with flatulence.
Rheumatism with diabetes.
Pains stitching, stabbing and of burning character, relieved temporarily by cold application and not by rest or motion. Backache accompanied by great weakness and profuse sweating. If patient covers the painful part, the pain goes to the un-covered parts of the body. Aggravation in pain after eating and uncovering. Give in IM dilution.
Ferrum Phos & Natrum Sulf:
Acute arthritis pain.
Nutritional Remedies for Arthritis
There are no miracle nutrients to fight arthritis. but we can add some foods which can help reduce inflammation and stiffness.
Amazing Cruciferous Vegetables
Some vegetables like are believed to slowdown the development of arthritis like
- Brussels sprout.
Exceptional Vitamin D
- A study revealed that subjects who consumed greater amounts of vitamin D showed slower progression in osteoarthritis.
- An extensive study including 29,000 women proved that those women who consumed more dietary vitamin D had less chances of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Exposure to sunlight and vitamin D fortified foods are the best sources.
Super Omega-3 fats
Researches have proven that enzymes that cause joint inflammation are more active when foods like corn, meat and sunflower oil rich in omega-6 fats are consumed.
On the other hand some researches suggest that omega-3 fats may reduce the symptoms of inflammation. It’s found in
- Flax seed
Wonders of Ginger
Studies have proven medicinal properties of ginger as an antioxidant and anti inflammatory ingredient. It’s a very versatile root. Add it to tea to make ginger tea, or as a garnish to foods, as an ingredient in batters of baked items, or as an additive to salads.
Revitalising Vitamin C
According to a study published in American Journal of Epidemiology, greater intake of vitamin C was found to reduce the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis by 30%. Rich sources of vitamin C are
- Bell pepper
- Oranges etc
Researches conducted in United Kingdom revealed that people who consumed foods containing beta-cryptoxanthin were better protected against arthritis. Foods rich in beta-cryptoxanthin include
- sweet peppers
- collard greens
Fantastic Olive Oil
Oelic acid, containing polyphenols and omega 3 fatty acids, in olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties. Olive oil is best when consumed as it is like in salad dressing or a drizzle on top of your favourite foods.
- Cold/warm: Use hot or cold compression to alter sensation of pain in arthritis.
- Move: Keep changing position while standing, sitting or even if you are in a lie down position too. Wiggle your toes and fingers, move your head side to side, stretch your arms and legs. In other words keep moving your body parts as is comfortable to lessen the pain and prevent stiffness.
- Exercise: choose gentle type of exercises that make your body feel good like walking, swimming etc to strengthen the muscles around joints. Exercises that are strenuous, causing damage to joints like running, jumping etc should be avoided.
- Massage: Various studies have proven that massage improves stiffness, motion, pain, grip strength and anxiety related to arthritis.
- Bath: Hot or cold bath for 30 minutes, depending upon which soothes you better, should be tried for comfort.
- Meditation: It is an effective way to reduce stress and anxiety, which often accompany patients who are usually suffering from arthritis.
These are some homeopathic and nutritional remedies for arthritis, please leave a comment below if you know any other remedies for arthritis.
- Quick bedside prescriber by J.N. Shinghal
- Select your remedy by Bishambar Das
- This is How to Read Nutrition Facts Label - March 30, 2017
- How To Take Care Of Your Baby Dietary Needs - March 25, 2017
- Healthy Diet Tips For Losing Weight After Pregnancy - March 14, 2017