Food is a substance composed of water, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats either eaten or drunk to give energy so as to build up the body for growth. Nutrition is the process in which you consume food or nourishing liquids. These are then digested and absorbed to be used for health and growth. Food and nutrition are at times synonyms, only if the food in question is healthy.
Food And Nutrition
Nutrition can also be explained as a three part task i.e.
- Consumption of food,
- Digestion of food and
- circulation of the food.
The word ‘nutrition’ comes from Latin words ‘nutritionem and nutrire,’ which mean ‘’a nourishing’’ or ‘’to nourish.
Good nutrition plays an essential role in
- maintaining good health, and
- assist to keep the mind and the body fit.
- To lead an active and healthy life,
- We all need adequate food and nourishment.
- Food is essential for survival and growth of human beings,
- It can also lead us to many health risks if not chosen properly.
There are approximately 60 nutrients which are placed into 2 major categories
1 . Macronutrients
- minerals, and
Each nutrient is extremely vital to keep the body perform in a healthy way. All the nutrients work in team to contribute to good health.
Vitamins are grouped according to their solubility in either
- fat or
- Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble and they need fat to be absorbed into the body and can be stored in the body.
- Vitamin B group and Vitamin C are water soluble and they cannot be stored in the body and must be consumed everyday.
Vitamin D is distinctive because
- it is the only vitamin that can be synthesized in the body.
- Sunlight is the main source of Vitamin D,
- sunscreen lotions with high SPF can prevent vitamin D formation. Vitamin D is also the unique vitamin that is a hormone
- The skin makes Vitamin D when it is exposed to ultraviolet rays from the sun.
Diseases caused by nutritional deficiencies
- beriberi (Vitamin B1-thiamine),
- pellagra (B3-niacin),
- anaemia (B12-cobalamin),
- scurvy (C-ascorbic acid).
- Rickets (calcium/vitamin D) (deformed bones).
- Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to neural disorders, psychotic behaviour and anaemia.
- Expecting women are encouraged to take Vitamin B12 supplements during first trimester to prevent potential birth defects.
It is very important to be careful and consume variety of foods.
- eating healthy food means being healthy.
- Food gives the body the energy needed for daily activities.
- It is also vital for the normal body functions like respiration, digestion etc.
- It is very important to eat healthy food at all stages of life.
- Also, it is never late to start eating healthy food and improve you eating habits.
- Balanced and healthy food can help reduce or maintain desirable weight,
- It also reduces the risk of diseases.
- Food amount and variety has a great impact on health.
Interesting facts about foods
- Almonds are member of the peach family.
- Banana is a herb.
- Coffee beans are fruit pits.
- Peanuts are legumes.
- Apples and pears are part of the rose family.
- Strawberries have higher vitamin C levels than the oranges.
- Tomatoes were believed to be poisonous.
- Canola oil is rapeseed oil.
- Goat’s milk is more admired and consumed around the world than cow’s milk.
- Honey is used in the middle of golf balls and in antifreeze..
- A hardboiled egg spins, but a soft boiled egg doesn’t.
- American people ate 33% more spinach in 1931 when Popeye became popular.
- Rice is the predominant food for half of the world’s population.
- Ketchup was sold as medicine in the 1930′s.
- Imagine chocolate, yummy, which was once used as a currency.
- Anorexia Nervous is an eating disorder in which patient suffers from fear of food and uses life threatening weight loss methods.
- Orthorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder in which patients are obsessed about healthy eating.
- Bulimia Nervosa is another eating disorder in which patients suffer from restricting their food intake with periods of excessive eating .