What diet tips for women are essential? Turning 40 can be a very important part of life or in other words can be called a milestone too. Either a women is at peak of her career or she is enjoying watching her children grow up or might be she is looking after her parents.
Diet Tips For Women Over 40
Physically speaking, it is a time for
- Lower metabolism
- Transitional phase towards menopause
- Change in appearance
- Beginning of change in heart and bones health
- Gaining weight
- Skin might start showing signs of aging
- And above all getting more wiser with all the experiences of years behind.
The most inevitable change going to cause around this age is menopause. It is a time for physical, psychological and emotional changes. Most commonly, women face menopause between 48-55 years of age. Premature menopause can occur in 1% of woman younger than 40 years of age. In the pre-menopause stage
- Body oestrogen levels decrease
- Menstrual periods can be longer or shorter, lighter or heavier
- You might miss one or more periods and then followed by a regular period
- Problems in sleeping, irritability and hot flashes can occur too.
Once there is a 12 months break in Menstrual period, a women has officially reached menopause.
Diet Tips For Women
- Low fat diet
Choose lean meat cuts and white meat like fish and chicken.
- Low sodium in diet
Use of less salt should be practiced.
- Add loads of raw and fresh fruits and vegetables in diet.
According to a research at Harvard School of Public Health, consumption of spinach, dark lettuce and Swiss chard effectively lower the possibility of cardiovascular disease.
- A cup of yogurt everyday can relive diarrhoea and constipation etc. A research at Tufts University has concluded that it provides protection against gastrointestinal problems along with colon cancer too.
- Avoid tin foods and concentrate more on fresh food varieties.
- Use whole grains instead of refined grains.
Use whole wheat products instead of white flour like brown bread, pasta and rice etc instead of white bread, pasta, rice, etc.
- Proper timely meals and healthy snacks should be given prime importance.
- Nibbling and pleasure eating can lead to weight gain and unhealthy food consumption.
- Cooking style should be given prime importance. Deep frying can be altered with boiling, poaching, steaming, baking grilling etc.
- The stock after boiling vegetables, lentils, beans etc should be used instead of discarding them which can make the food lose its essential nutrients.
Other Tips for Women
Adopt Active Lifestyle
Active life style should be adopted.
- Proper exercise like swimming, running or even brisk walk etc should be incorporated in daily routine.
- Never skip breakfast as it fuels our day to day activities and sails you though the day and works with metabolism which is at its peak in the morning. Studies have proven that women who ate good breakfast lost more weight than those women who started their day without breakfast.
- Boost calcium and vitamin D intake as both nutrients are essential for strong bones.
Control Stress and Anxiety
Try to control your stress and anxiety.
- Practice breathing in and out relaxing exercises to relieve any stress.
- Try to engage in any leisure activities to distract your attention from stress.
- Connect socially with friends, cousins, religious groups and volunteer organisations, etc.
Regular Check Up
Routine check up should be part of personal care like
- Eye exam: Every 2 to 4 years
- Blood pressure: Every 2 years
- Pap test and pelvic exam: Every 1 to 3 years
- Thyroid: Every 5 years
- Mole check: Every year
- Mammogram: Every 1 to 2 years
- Blood glucose: Every 3 years starting at age 45
*Source: Office of Women’s Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Studies show that a proper peaceful sleep of 7-9 hours reduces stress and delays the aging process.
- Quit smoking as it leads to early aging, many diseases, early menopause, and a lot of cancers.